Classes of hosting services
A hosting solution involves depositing and/or sharing given content on a web hosting server managed by a website hosting supplier. There are various kinds of hosting services used for various purposes, so let's take a look at them. In that way, you can elect what you need, depending on whether you'd like to build a weblog, e-mail box accounts, or to share files with pals and partners.
- File hosting: a solution supplied by certain file storage providers, which enables you to share bulky files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archives, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its single designation is to share files, since it does not support web page uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either obtain an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to survey a list of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to see .html or .php website files in your web browser. Free file hosting solutions are frequently supported by exhibiting ads by the download links, while a timer forces you to await a given interval of time to observe them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you own a paid file hosting package, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download instantly, and also there is no limit as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
At the moment, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting providers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is a totally amiss interpretation of the real meaning of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would divide the workload between autonomous stacks of servers in a cluster, which are committed to serving miscellaneous web hosting services (email, disk space, stats, DNS, databases, web hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is just a brand of a disk storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: comparable with file hosting; specific providers provide a hosting service for images exclusively. This hosting type is good if you wish to share a vast quantity of pictures with comrades or colleagues since the solution is usually free of charge. You will get a randomly generated link for every image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be used for web sites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution devoted to administering your mail addresses. Some providers provide webspace hosting services for web sites, but do not supply an email hosting solution. If you want to have a mail address with your domain name but do not want to keep a website, then the email hosting service is what you require. You can set up mailbox accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a certain video clip, or you can embed the video clip in your web site that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of using this approach instead of uploading the video in a web hosting account is that the video brings about a given amount of central processing unit load, so with a few video files and a few hundred web site visitors, you may have a problem with your web site hosting reserves. Embedding the video will enable you to use as many video files as you want to without hassling about system resources.
- Web site hosting: this is the service that you need if you want to possess a website. To a certain extent, it includes all of the aforementioned hosting sorts since, along with your web sites, you can also host images and files, you can keep databases and e-mail aliases, upload video files, etc. At MYVYM Web Hosting, for example, you can view web hosting and dedicated web hosting packages that permit you to have all of the aforesaid services in one location. There may be restrictions depending on the form of hosting solution that you've picked - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web hosting account may be better or worse compared to the normal e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are tailored for specific web content exclusively.